Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Hazy Skyline by Julie Riker

6x12
oil on canvas
I painted this with the group last week during our outing at the West Fairview boat launch. I have tried to paint this skyline several times and always find it difficult keeping the buildings pushed back and not too detailed, but the hazy light helped to reduce the shapes to shades of gray. I think this is probably the first painting I have ever done en plein air and not added some small addition to in my studio. I lived with it for a few days and now I feel like I should just let it be.

6 comments:

L. O'Neal said...

I can't get enough of this painting! One of your best!

Julie Riker said...

Thanks Lyn! Maybe you'll hang it in your gallery and then you can look at it all the time :)

Cecelia Lyden said...

I agree with Lyn--an amazing job for 3-4 hour on-site painting.

L. O'Neal said...

Make sure to include it for October!

Pat Koscienski said...

Like I said on DPP, Julie..I'm glad you decided to let it be. You can't improve on this one.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I totally agree with all of the comments across the blogs about this painting, Julie. It is something very special, and one of your best!