Sunday, 14 November 2010

HANGING ON
Plein Air
by Claire Beadon Carnell

*** CRITIQUE REQUESTED ***
'Hanging On'
Oil on Linen
9 x 12

Last week our plein air group, the Susquehanna Valley
Plein Air Painters, painted at the juncture where the
Letort Creek flows into the Conodoguinet.  We had
the most beautiful warm weather for the middle of
November, and many different vistas of this area
to paint. 

I was really drawn to this curve where the Letort
flowed into the Conodoguinet, especially because
of the rock structures, weathered trees,
and the yellow foliage.

If you would like to see more of my work,
please visit my website or my blog. If you are
interested in purchasing any of my paintings you see
here on this blog, please contact me.

5 comments:

Debra Kreiger said...

Wow! I love this Claire. Just beautiful!

Cecelia Lyden said...

I liked that corner,also, Claire and took a couple of photos of itI hope to paint it from my pics--you rendition is beautiful.

Julie Riker said...

I know you asked for a critique...and I do want to participate in this part of the blog...but I honestly cannot think of anything I would change about this painting. Your colors are clean, composition is great...my eye enters at the rock and lingers on that interesting root structure before being drawn down the creek to that vibrant yellow tree.
Perhaps if, in your posting, you mentioned a specific area of the painting that bothered you, or you felt needed some more work (as I did with mine) it would help the person doing the critique to better help YOU.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Julie, I was really unhappy with the photo I posted, and finally got a better one taken and posted today.
My question is with the foliage in the trees in the foreground. I tried to keep the masses and not get too picky with individual leaves except where I wanted them highlighted.
Does this work?

Julie Riker said...

What I am seeing here seems very intentional. You have more leaf detail in the area in the center and closest to the root ball, and the further away from that the less detailed and more fuzzy the leaf shapes become. Yet, even in that more focused area there are enough lights and darks to distinguish masses or groupings of leaves.
I REALLY love the beautiful line you created along the edge of the rock and then up the tree trunk...also leading to this area of interest.
I am sorry that I cannot think of anything "negative" to say...it is great.