Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Mystic Memorial by Cathy Mabius

Mystic Memorial, oil, 9 x 12, completed in plein air.

When I arrived at Memorial Park in Camp Hill, PA the day was overcast.  I had forgotten to add my easel back into my plein air kit, so I painted this from sitting on my supply case.  As it turned out, the low view point  made for an interesting composition.  The sun broke through half way through the painting, but I stayed with the original cool light that was in force when I started.

I only post plein air work on this blog, but you are welcome to visit (or become a follower) on my personal blog "Art of Cathy Mabius"  at cathymabius.blogspot.com.  Today's post is a 20 x 30 oil of the Susquehanna River that I started in a workshop that I taught this summer  "A Landscape from Start to Finish."

You are also welcome to visit my website www.cathymabius.com.

3 comments:

Julie Riker said...

Love the soft feel and the character in the trees.

Cecelia Lyden said...

Soft, dreamy feeling in the background --stronger feel in the fore and middle ground--love the composition.

Cathy Mabius said...

Thanks, Julie and Cecelia. I decided to leave out the hustle and bustle of Market Street... One of my goals this year is to paint "quieter."