Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Winter Morning on the Lake by Cathy Mabius

Winter Morning on the Lake, 12 x 12, oil

I'm a newbie in the blogsphere and am entering this whole new world at the invitation of Susquehanna Valley Plein Air Painters!  


For my first post, I pulled up an image of a plein air painting that I did with two other members of SVPAP,  Lyn and Sharon,  a few winters ago.  As I remember, the date was one of the first days in January.  The location:  Pinchot Park, in northern York County.  Yes, it was cold -- but, as a rule, plein air painters are a hardy lot ! 

One of the reason that we plein air painters brave the elements and other distractions is to be able to capture the colors in nature that only our eyes can see, but a camera cannot.  The reference photos from this day were almost totally monochromatic. For me capturing the color harmony is of vital importance in order to capture the feeling and atmosphere of the day.


You are welcome to visit my website www.cathymabius.com 
or my blog cathymabius.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

Cathy--I can't tell you the number of times I've photgraphed a winter scene, noting the colorful grasses, bare trees, shadows, only to be completly disappointed with the photos. This is the first year I have painted outdoors, but I'm thinking I will have to brave the winter weather, at least once. Your painting suggests a crisp,clean,colorful, and cold winter day. Perfect.

Julie Riker said...

It is great to see your work here Cathy! I love the way you captured the reflections in the lake. I am looking forward to trying a few winter painting sessions this year too.

Pat Koscienski said...

Beautiful painting, Cathy. Great to see you posting.

Cathy Mabius said...

Thanks to all for making me feel welcome! And for your kind comments. Plein air painting is a challenge at times, but so worth it !

Mary Beth Brath said...

Welcome to the blog Cathy. I always love your work!