Thursday, 16 December 2010

Haybales by Julie Riker

6x8 oil

With the cold weather and the coming holidays it has been difficult to do much in the way of plein air painting, but I am enjoying the posts of everyone's "older work".  Claire's beautiful painting of haybales reminded me to post this one which I have posted before on the Daily Painter's blog but not on this site.  This was the first painting I did using my (at the time) new thumb box.  It was the middle of the hot hot summer and I remember having to paint under the tailgate of my car for some necessary shade.  Quite different today.
If you would like to see more of  my work please visit my website http://www.julieriker.com/

2 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

I CAN'T REMEMBER IF I COMMENTED ON THIS LITTLE GEM BEFORE--BUT--IF SO, I'M SURE I LIKED IT THEN AND I STILL DO. THOUGH THE BALES ARE SCATTERED ACROSS THE FORE AND MIDDLE GROUNDS, THEY[ AND THEIR SHADOWS HELP LEAD YOUR EYE TO THE TREES IN THE BACKGROUND. AND THE COLOR PALETTE HELPS TO UNIFIY THIS WHOLE COMPOSITION.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I am so appreciative of the SVPAP members who are taking time to post and repost paintings during this very busy season. I loved this when I saw it before, and loved it even more when I saw the real painting. The touches of purple really make it sing! Wonderful work, Julie.