Wednesday, 15 December 2010

TREES IN WILDWOOD By Cecelia Lyden

acrylic on canvas
10x13
This was the first plein aire painting I had done in 50 years. I signed up for a 1 day workshop with an instructor. I was the only one that did, so I got a lot of one on one instruction that day. We went to the Wildwood Preserve in Harrisburg. He demonstrated his approach to painting by applying a lot of red on the canvas first, then overlaying it with other colors. It made for a very vibrant, loose and exciting painting. I tried it, but probably covered too much of the red. You can , however, still see some of the red color peeking through. The painting is more expressionistic than usual for me, but I like its color and loose brushwork.

1 comment:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is the first time I have seen this, and I love it! This really brings out much of what I find intriguing about trees, Cecelia. Their bark, branches, leaves, exposed roots - just the different shapes they present provide a wealth of artistic adventure. Wonderful painting!