Sunday, 9 January 2011

Rockville Morning by Julie Riker

8x16 oil on canvas

Several years ago, I met Ralph Hocker at the Mechanicsburg Art Center and he invited me to join his plein air painting group.  It was a small informal group of a handful of talented artists who met weekly to share their love of painting and the outdoors.  We painted at a boat launch in Marysville and I remember it was a gray cloudy morning, but the sun started peeking around the mountain as we were working.  That day I met several other artists...Mary Beth Brath, Jim Henry, Pat Koscienski...little did I know that was the beginnings of Susquehanna Valley Plein Air Painters.
This little painting will be showing at the Landis House in Newport as part of the Perry County Council of the Art's "Waterways of Central PA" show of plein air work.  The show opens on January 14 and runs through March 4.

If you would like to see more of my work please visit my website http://www.julieriker.com/

2 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

This "little painting" is softly atmospheric and lovely.

L. O'Neal said...

This is a beautiful work. I'll see it in person at the opening. Should be an excellent show.