Friday, 11 February 2011

plein air study by Cathy Mabius



I purposely didn't title this post, because my intent when in the woods painting was only to capture the colors that I saw. In fact, I remembering groaning when I reached for the panel in my pack because it was a GOOD panel and this was going to be just a quick color study, not a "plein air painting" -- I was already working on one of "those" looking straight across the stream, struggling to capture what I saw and making a good painting that I could pop in a frame to place at a gallery and hopefully sell.  That painting was well on its way, but then I looked to my right and saw this. 

 I took the chance, grabbed a new panel, mixed my colors on the plastic wrapping of another panel and got it down on canvas.  Then I threw it aside and continued on my other painting, which is now in a frame.  This little guy (12 x 9) is sitting beside my easel right now... I don't intend to sell it.  Why? It is much more valuable as a study that I meant it to be...
If you'd like to see the studio painting I just completed using this study, visit my blog at www.cathymabius.blogspot.com.

5 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

I'm a big fan of "studies". They are almost always well composed and I love loose brushwork. I am going to check out the studio painting now, but I like this one very much.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I like this just as it is - the brushwork has energy, and the sense of light is beautifully conveyed.

Cathy Mabius said...

Thanks, both Cecelia and Claire. As I commented on my blog, I really plan to do more studies in pleir air this year, and not try to finish it to sell as a small painting. I really think it will give me more things to explore in the studio and get me off the mindset of getting another one done that smacks of a quota system. I've started another painting using only the color harmonies in this study. Fun !

L. O'Neal said...

I love how you try to keep things fresh! That's why your paintings are so energetic and vibrant.

Julie Riker said...

You have a good eye for a good scene. This is fresh and energetic...a great study.