Thursday, 17 February 2011

Receding Ice by Julie Riker




60 degrees today!! A few SVPAP members met at Fort Hunter to paint the receding ice. In attendance were Ralph Hocker, Jim Henry, Cathy Mabius, and myself.  It was a spectacular sight on the river.  The ice had broken into interesting abstract shapes that were contrasted by the surrounding dark water.  You could hear the massive sheets of ice sliding and crunching against each other as they were pushed downstream. It was refreshing to be out painting again after months of cold grayness, and we all felt our spirits renewed.



I painted this 6x8 study of the ice.

If you would like to see more of my work please visit my website www.julieriker.com

2 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is absolutely wonderful, Julie - the abstract shapes and the colors are fantastic.

L. O'Neal said...

I was itching to go with you all last week. Thank you for posting this wonderful piece - I was curious if there was still ice on the river and your painting certainly clarifies the conditions of the day!