Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Spring Forward!

Painting at the York Garden Show was quite a treat.  I went on Sunday in the pouring rain...but the smell of damp earth, tanbark, and flowering shrubs and bulbs inside the exhibit was delightful!

After touring the booths and the landscapes, I was drawn to a darker corner with nursery pots just "waiting backstage" for their turn in the spotlight!  There were lots of heliotropes, a few ferns and this one red pot of tulips.  The colors were irresistible to me.

I spent the rest of my time there - talking, painting, watching the puddle under the pots dry up, and the tulips open up... this was the result.

It is an 8 x 10 acrylic on canvas titled "Ladies in Waiting".

Let the Spring painting season officially begin!

2 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

Picture perfect comes to mind.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I saw this in person, and it is such a beautiful painting! Great work on this, Cathy.