Friday, 13 May 2011

A Day at Codorus State Park by Julie Riker

Tree by the Lake
8x10 oil

Yesterday was one of those gorgeous spring days that are best spent hanging out in a park by a lake.  We could not have asked for better weather for our paint out at Codorus.  I have kayaked on the lake many times and always wanted to paint there, so I was happy that Sharon suggested it to the group.  I arrived late, so I only spent about an hour on this first painting before stopping for lunch.  I was going to work into it a little, but I am thinking I may leave it alone as a quick sketch.
In the afternoon we moved to another location to get a better view of the lake.  As I was walking around deciding what to paint I spotted this couple relaxing and reading.  They seemed to be enjoying the day as much as I was.  I knew they would not move for quite awhile and that it was the perfect opportunity to paint people en plein air.  I know it seems funny to drive and hour to visit a lake and then not paint the lake...but inspiration hit me and that is even better.

Reading in the Park
8x10 oil
 

If you would like to see more of my work please visit my website www.julieriker.com




3 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Two great paintings, Julie. I really like that you put the 'human element' into your second plein air!

SharonKBennerFineArt said...

You have an eye for great subject matter and both paintings are rendered beautifully. It was a fun day for sure.

Cecelia Lyden said...

I love the compositions and the colors in your trees--both of these are vintage Julie Rikers.