Friday, 13 May 2011

Willow Study by Cathy Mabius

Willow Study, acrylic, 14 x 11

I started this painting last June at the upper end of Willow Park in Camp Hill, joining that day a group of painters who would soon be known as the Susquehanna Valley Plein Air Painters.  I remember Claire Carnell stopped by early in the process and I cringed because it looked an unrecognizable mess with large dark abstract shapes.  I worked up to mid-tones until I could stand the heat no longer and packed it in.  The "lights" were added in the studio, so technically is not a full plein air painting.  But if I'm sure I'd never come up with the composition or the painting if it weren't started on location.

1 comment:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I remember you working on this, Cathy. Such a wonderful atmospheric painting, that holds a mysterious depth that I find absolutely beautiful!