Tuesday, 9 August 2011

SVPAP Member Blog Spot
Meet New Member Jane Ramsey

I am happy to be a new member of this group. Finding others equally passionate about plein air painting is always thrilling. My early childhood was spent growing up on the Delaware River in Lumberville, Bucks County, PA. During high school, my parents' teaching jobs moved us around South Pacific islands and then I chose Seattle, WA for art school. My sketchbook was my constant companion and I spent many hours drawing outside so plein air painting was a natural transition.

My favorite aspect of plein air is the interaction with the world around me -- people, history, scenery and/or wildlife (ok, I'll admit the bugs can be a challenge!). It is such a sensory experience, isn't it?! I love the smell of the flowers, the sound of the wind... the feeling of standing alone in a vast meadow or high on the slope of a canyon. My goal is to create a painting that invites the viewer to enter and experience it for themselves.

Sketchbook Entry, November 2010
10" x 7", pen & ink
Abandoned summer kitchen on an old farm in Boyertown, PA

I still carry my sketchbook with me and often will use it to work up a few quick compositional studies. Sometimes I choose to forgo working on "finished" paintings and instead, fill the pages with quick color plein air studies. It's a great way to hone my drawing skills and collect visual information that I will use later in a painting.

Watercolors are my medium of choice. I love the spontaneity and the "happy accidents" that appear when you let the medium be true to itself. They are easy to transport into the field or pack in a suitcase. I love the challenges of working with them in varied climates or temperatures. Sometimes I work in pen and ink with watercolor washes -- a style that has evolved from my sketchbooks.

"Highways & Byways," 14" x 11" watercolor, pen & ink
along the old Coastal Highway, Santa Ynez Valley, CA

My "day" job is freelance design and illustration which I have done 
for the past thirty-some years. In the last five years I have been able to 
devote more time to my plein air work and it is here, 
where I find the most joy and inspiration.
 
"Silent Snow," 19" x 12" watercolor
Lehigh County Farm
I look forward to painting with you on future paint-outs! 
I invite you to visit my website and my blog.

5 comments:

Tatiana Myers said...

Love all your posted works, Jane! Will need to check out your web site too. Welcome to the group!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I was so glad to be able to meet you in person this summer at the Camp Hill Plein Air Event, Jane. Your work is absolutely beautiful!

CECELIA LYDEN said...

Welcome Jane--I'm a relative newcomer to plein air painting. Although it is easier to paint in studio, painting outdoors is so satisfying in so many different ways. Love your work and am looking forward to seeing more of your posts

Julie Riker said...

Welcome Jane and thank you for sharing a bit of yourself in this post. Your description of the sensory experience of plein air painting is, I think, something that everyone in this group shares. I hope you can join us in a future paint out to meet everyone in person.

Jane Ramsey said...

Thank you for all the warm welcomes and, yes, I am really looking forward to joining you at a future paint-out now that I am back from the west coast. Thanks!