Tuesday, 15 November 2011

SVPAP Member Blog Spot
Meet SVPAP Member Julie Riker


     I studied art in college and after graduating I found work with a company involved in the restoration of the state capitol.  There I went from doing small paintings to working on large scale walls and murals.   My six years on that project led me to start my own decorative painting company in 1997.  Working in private homes, businesses, and churches I get to travel to beautiful places and develop great client relationships.  I love my work.

Floating Ice on the Susquehanna
8x10 oil on canvas
painted February 2011 in West Fairview

     I started plein air painting about 3 years ago in Earl Blust's class.  I immediately embraced it as a way to combine my love of painting with my love of the outdoors.  Plein air painting has helped my decorative work immensely.  There are the technical things - just painting more makes you a better artist - but more importantly it has renewed my passion for art that sometimes becomes "a job".  Being involved in our plein air group has been a great way to connect with other artists, to learn and share.  I still feel like I have so much to learn and am enjoying the journey.

Creek House
8x10 oil
painted September 2011 on Chincoteague Island

     If you would like to see more of my paintings and my decorative design work please visit my website

2 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

Julie-both of these paintings are beautiful examples of plein air painting--clean, fresh and exuding an "on the spot" "in the moment" feeling.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I'm with Cecelia - both of your paintings make me feel as though I am there, Julie. Thanks for such a terrific entry for the SVPAP Meet the Member Blogspot!