Thursday, 22 December 2011

December Rapids by Julie Riker

8x10 oil

Today is the winter solstice - the first day of winter - but it felt more like April today with temperatures in the high 50's.  I knew I really should have stayed home and finished my holiday preparations, but the sunshine and warm weather beckoned me outside to paint.  I went to a spot on the Yellow Breeches Creek near Boiling Springs and did this small study of the rapids there.  I am not certain that this painting is done and  I might make a few adjustments to it another time, but it was great to be out.  I saw lots of people out walking, fishing, enjoying the nice day - even saw a guy fishing in shorts and flip flops!  I hope this is a sign that we will have a mild winter with many more plein air painting days ahead.
Happy Holidays to everyone!

5 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Love this, Julie - is this back by the stone bridges?

Julie Riker said...

Thanks Claire. It's near the furnace.

Larry Lerew said...

Feeling Good! Your excitment and joy of being outdoors to paint is showing. This painting and your own comments express a feeling we all embrace. Thanks for sharing your passion.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Yes - this is where I thought you painted in this piece. It is such a beautiful place, and you really caught it perfectly!.

Best hosting company for small business said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.