Sunday, 4 December 2011

Markers by Julie Riker

6x8 oil on mahogany board

Cecelia found an interesting place for us to paint.  The Lincoln Colored Cemetery is full of old Civil War graves, most of them were older than the surrounding trees.  I decided to focus in on the shapes of some of the stones.  I was also experimenting with a new surface, a clear primed mahogany board.  I enjoyed using this smooth surface as an alternative to the canvas texture which I am sometimes fighting with.  The warm wood color also made a nice base which peeks through the paint in areas.

5 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

Good, solid work, Julie and you successfully added the flag--I was afraid it would be a distraction in my painting, but its diagonal placement is a great counterpoint to the diagonals of the tombstones and the trees.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Really like this, Julie. Hope I get to see you working on one of these boards when I am able to get out and paint again. I like using a warm brown tone as an underpainting for my plein air work, so I would think that the mahogany color would really work well.

Larry Lerew said...

Nice color, soft edges, strong center of interest (Flag). I like it!

Julie Riker said...

thanks everyone!

Domain names registration in india said...

I will bookmark your blog and have my friends to check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else.