Monday, 30 April 2012

CATTLE GRAZING ON THE ADAMS RANCH By Cecelia Lyden


oil/canvasboard
6x8

This painting was composed, but barely painted en plein air. Most of it was painted in studio from one of my photos. You may wonder how it is I could not finish a 6x8 painting entirely en plein air. Fear of alligator, snake and red ant sightings will divert your attention and cause you to lose your focus. I told more of this story on my Cecelia's Ramblings blog, http://ceceliaramblings.blogspot.com/ . I posted this painting on the SVPAP blog because I wanted to share some of my photos from this amazing,if not intimidating ranch.
I had wanted to paint on a ranch ever since I spied cattle grazing along the Florida Turnpike. I took photos as we whizzed by and did a couple of paintings from them. The local Ft. Pierce paint group had arranged to paint out at Adams Ranch, http://www.adamsranch.com/  and luckily it was within the time I was there. This is 67,000 acre ranch with grazing fields and tropical-like forests. It is beautiful and exciting and I was wishing all of our PA group was there, too.
Entering what looked like the ride in"Jurassic Park"
That is what it felt like, driving into the "unknown" all alone.
This was a tiny sign of a human habitat, before I went further into the "jungle".


The"jungle"
Beautiful full shaped trees with limbs that swoop down to the ground


Finally, some open space and some sunshine

2 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I read this story again, Cecelia - so much fun! This is a great painting with the cows!

Cecelia Lyden said...

Thank you, Claire--I had such fun recalling my experience and writting about it.