Monday, 9 April 2012

EASTER TRAFFIC WAS HEAVY BUT I STOOD MY GROUND! by Larry Lerew



Had two ambitious days of painting en plein air, April 4 and 6, 2012 on Baltimore Street, Dillsburg, PA to complete a large 40" x 30" canvas.
Kind of a big challenge and the largest outdoor painting to date. Had a great time and wonderful Spring weather.


#12-04-02
Title: "Spring Bus Stop"
Location: Baltimore Street, Dillsburg, PA looking South from Dill Tavern
Acrylic on Canvas Panel (en Plein Air)
Size: 40" x 30"

See more of my recent en Plein Air paintings: LarryLerew.com

6 comments:

Sharon K Benner said...

I like this painting, great depth and color. Sharon

Claire Beadon Carnell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Larry, I am so glad that you joined our plein air group. Your fresh and colorful style is a wonderful addition to the our little group of talented artists!

Do you think your trip to the Michener influenced the large size of your canvas - I immediately thought of Edward Redfield and him immense canvases.

This is a WONDERFUL painting.

Larry Lerew said...

Yes, the Michener Art Museum had a good effect on me. I loved seeing those big paintings. I was also asked by my gallery rep if I could translate my little paintings to a larger scale. I had to try it but close to home because it took two trips. Before I started I thought it might take three trips of two hours each. Used bigger brushes and needed a water jug anchor on my large field easel. Might pick a safer spot next time since I had tractor trailers passing by only about 3 feet from my easel. I'm happy with my results and learned a little more about working large and fast. It was a good experience.

Cecelia Lyden said...

Love your style, love your sense of humor, love the painting. So glad you joined our group.The Michener exhibit is still with me as well.

Julie Riker said...

I thought you must have been inspired by those large plein air paintings. That takes some guts to do a painting that large, and on a busy road. It looks GREAT Larry!