Sunday, 8 April 2012

Redbuds and Rocks by Julie Riker

8x10

I had never been to Gettysburg at the height of redbud season and I was impressed at how lovely it was to look into the woods and see all this brilliant color.  Ralph and I drove around the battlefield for a long time to scout locations and I got a good history lesson along the way - Ralph really knows his Civil War history!  By the time we settled on a location there was only and hour and a half to paint so I quickly sketched in some basic information and colors and then did some additional work on this at home.

Here is Claire working on her beautiful painting. She looks happy to have conquered that scene...

It is so neat to view all the renditions here posted on the blog.  It was great to see everyone who came out to paint that day and to enjoy lunch together. 

3 comments:

Larry Lerew said...

You did well and the scenery was overwhelming. Don't fall into that "looking for the perfect spot syndrome". It really can drain your energy and kill your first impressions. Sometimes it's worth it to take your first impression and twist it into something special. That can only come from "inside you"!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Great painting, Julie - I really like the rhythm of the trees and the path.

Cecelia Lyden said...

LARRY MADE A VALID POINT--I THINK I'LL TAKE HIS ADVICE NEXT TIME I'M OUT. I LIKE THE MOVEMENT IN THIS PAINTING. THE PLACEMENT OF THE PATH, THE TREES AND THE ROSEBUDS LEAD YOUR EYE UP, AROUND AND BACK ACROSS THE PICTURE PLANE.