Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Back Yards by Julie Riker

8x10 oil

This is fresh out of my pochade box - a study I did this morning of some buildings in Boiling Springs.  I feel that this is quite different from most of my other paintings.  For one thing, the bright sun forced me to (squint) see the shadows as simplified shapes - I always forget to do that!  I have also started using an oil primer on my boards - even over the pre-primed acrylic ones and over top of those old rejected paintings.  The oil primer is thick and fills in a lot of the canvas texture and then I can sand it to a smoother surface.  I find that rather than having to scumble the paint into the canvas to cover it, this paint sits on top and is easier to build up thicker areas.

6 comments:

jjkapow said...

You and Cecelia have inspired me to paint some houses. I'm a fan of simple shapes (Milton Avery and Fairfield Porter come to mind), and I especially like your use of them here. I'm sorry I didn't make it to Boiling Springs, but I do appreciate your having sent out the invitation. John

Julie Riker said...

Thanks John. I also appreciate painters who can simplify shapes. I always have to fight the urge to add details. Great to have you in the group and hope to see you out soon.

Cecelia Lyden said...

I have told you this already, but I will say it again--this is a wonderful painting-it captures the whole setting with its brilliant sunlight and luscious shadows.

Julie Riker said...

Thanks Cecelia!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I love the sunlight on the structures, Julie - magnificent!

Julie Riker said...

Thanks Claire!