Wednesday, 25 July 2012

BOILING SPRINGS ALLEY By Cecelia Lyden

oil/panel
8x10

A perfect day for plein air painting--cooler temperatures and lower humidity--bright sunshine and deep shadows. Boiling Springs is a great place to paint with its water sites and its both simple and interesting houses, sitting on sunny and shaded streets.

I worked on a smooth panel. I had never painted in oil on such a smooth surface and found it difficult at first, but the purplish undrpainting on the panel worked well when developing shadows.

3 comments:

jjkapow said...

So nicely done, and I can see your background as a "Hudson River School" painter - Tarrytown - coming through. You and Julie may have inspired me to paint some houses. John

Julie Riker said...

The shadows are so great, as was the light that day. Thanks to your keen eye for choosing the location. It was a perfect morning.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Wonderful painting, Cecelia. I love how the road curves through the houses.