Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Ashcomb Sunflowers by Linda Young

Ashcomb Sunflowers, watercolor by Linda Young
size 9 x 12"
This painting was done mostly at the Ashcomb Farm and the very dark areas were finished in my studio.   I used an old painting from another plein air outing and reincarnated it to become these sunflowers.  I remember I used to have such trouble figuring out negative spaces and areas in a painting; but now, I push myself to do it more.  It seems, once I get started; I can hardly quit painting that way. 

Negative painting, to me, challenges the mind and hand to paint the not-so-obvious to tell a story.


P O Box 941
Carlisle, Pa.  17013

For purchase information, please contact me via my website

4 comments:

Julie Riker said...

This is beautiful Linda! I love the purples peeking through which is, I guess, your old painting underneath - clever idea! The negative painting and the hint of something underneath give this a collage quality.

Linda Young said...

Julie, this painting was started when you were beside me at the park. You were on your bicycle and scouting out a place to paint for the next day at Camp Hill. The old painting didn't have any purple in it at all; that was added when I started to layer in the compliments of the yellow sunflowers. The old painting was pale browns, greens and blues...

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is a new favorite, Linda!

Clare Klaum said...

What a great idea, to repurpose a previous painting. I didn't know it was possible to do this with watercolor. I loved the multilayered look!