Monday, 1 July 2013

SHIPOKE DRAMA by Cecelia Lyden


 
oil/stretched canvas
12x16
 
So there we were, several of us scoping out the beautiful Shipoke area of Harrisburg, on a sunny afternoon. Shipoke is situated right on the Susquehanna River, which is both a blessing and a curse for its inhabitants--ever-changing, inspiring river views on most days, but heavy rains often bring flooding to this low-lying area.
 
I decided to paint one of the charming homes. I spied this yellow bench and bright green plant. Wow! Talk about center of interest. The sunshine was focused right on the windows, bench and plant.  With everything around it in deep shade, it looked like the dramatic lighting of a center stage setting. I worked on this scene for three hours outdoors, but needed more time in studio to finish it. This was too complicated a subject for me to complete in a couple of hours outdoors-I'm still not happy with my "clumsy" handling of the brush. I'll know better next time to keep things simple.

3 comments:

Julie Riker said...

I actually think this turned out very nice. I like the soft feel and the light on the bench is so inviting.
(When I read your title I thought you were going to mention something about the drama of the cars parking in front of your view!)

Clare Klaum said...

Cecelia,
I think your painting turned out beautiful. I want to go sit on that bench and admire the river view. Your light and shadows are great. You should be proud!

Larry Lerew said...

Beautiful peaceful setting. I'm always happy to see you out painting.