Wednesday, 21 August 2013

A SHARP CURVE IN THE ROAD By Cecelia Lyden

oil/stretched canvas
11x14
 
I made two trips to the Village of Lisburn to capture this street scene. I really liked the structures sitting on the  road, as well as the curving road. Unfortunately, the height of the canvas is too tall for my composition. I tried to "lower" the height by darkening the top of the sky and adding more clouds. I didn't like it. I finally decided to add telephone lines for some interest. There were many lines crossing the road and I thought they were legitimately part of the scene. I was timid about applying the paint . I may darken them a bit. 


 

3 comments:

Vivian Sterste - Brandler said...

Wonderful Cels!!!!!You handled the wires well creating a subtlety from an imposition. When I enlarged the painting to look at it on the screen I was taken by the light coming through the trees at the end of the road and from behind the building on the right...very nice!

Cecelia Lyden said...

Thank you, Vivi, for your observations and positive comments.

Clare Klaum said...

Cecelia,
I love the way the sky dips almost to meet the road. I don't think it is too much sky at all, I think its just the right amount. Your composition is great.