Saturday, 8 March 2014

Breaking Ice Around The Bend by Julie Riker

11x14 oil

Beth Bathe and I painted today at Fort Hunter.  Probably my last time to paint the ice this season since a lot of it melted during the few hours I painted this. Another sign of spring was the swarm of bugs that were clinging to my paint, palette, crawling down my shirt...I think at least 20 of them hitched a ride home in my gear. A bit of Googling and I learned they were Winter Stoneflies. Apparently they come out of the river in the early spring sunshine, feed on vegetation, mate and lay their eggs back into the river.

2 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

The bug "thing" sounds horrible, but the painting is beautiful.

Julie Riker said...

Well it wasn't so horrible. They weren't biting or anything, but a bit annoying when they got near my face. The things we endure to create our work.