Sunday, 18 May 2014

"Underneath It All" by Julie Riker

8x12

I was delighted that my painting won 2nd Place and also the People's Choice Award at Camp Hill Plein Air this weekend.
I have always wanted to do a nocturnal painting but this is actually the first I have ever done.
It was great fun.
I used a camping headlamp to illuminate my palette.  It may not have been color accurate but it worked.


The painting sold the next day to a woman who was visiting from Florida...a former shop owner.  I snapped these few pictures and that's all I have.


If you would like to see more of my work please visit my website www.julieriker.com


7 comments:

Cecelia Lyden said...

Terrific painting and extra nice sale to a shopowner from the Sunshine State.

Julie Riker said...

Thanks Cecelia!

Tatiana Myers said...

Julie, how did You work out with low-light condition?.. Flash light? Street light? Something else?.. Was it really complicated to paint like this or not?.. Never tried it..

Clare Klaum said...

Julie,
What an original idea to paint this shop and to do a nocturne! It's a great painting! Congrats on your award and the sale!

Julie Riker said...

Thanks ladies!! Tatiana, I used an LED camping headlamp. As I said, it's not color accurate but it worked. I wouldn't say it was complicated...just have to be gutsy and have fun with it.

Tatiana Myers said...

Thank you, Julie... I suspected headlamp of some sort... not an easy task. I saw that store during day light, it was interesting, but note nearly that interesting as Your nocturne. You was brave enough to take a chance and it sure worked out... Congratulations! Regardless of all awards this work took - what you got here is reward of its own... very successful work.

Julie Riker said...

Thanks Tatiana!