Wednesday, 17 September 2014

THE STONE STABLE and THE OLD SYCAMORE AT FORT HUNTER By Cecelia Lyden


oil
11x14
www.cecelialyden.com

This painting was plein air inspired and started, but studio finished. I arrived a little late on Sunday for the Gallery Walk at Fort Hunter. I walked around for a while, looking for something inspiring to paint. I finally settled for this building, a stable. It had an OK shadow, a semi cheery color, an interesting roofline and a nice little tree in the crux of the two sections of the building. Not that enthused with my choice of subject matter, I "putzed" around, setting up, when suddenly I noticed this huge sycamore behind the building, almost completely hidden by dense foliage. I was suddenly motivated and began to work out the composition. I since have learned that this tree is listed in the book, Penn's Woods, and is estimated to be over 300 years old-so glad I spied it. 
I blocked in the whole composition and began to paint, but before I finished, it was near 5 o'clock, quittin' time. I still had several problems to work out, so I worked on them in studio.

2 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

I love the tree, too!
PERFECTION.

Debra Kreiger said...

Very nice Cecelia.Love the tree!