Thursday, 9 April 2015

Meet Beth Bathe

www.bethbathe.com
www.bethbathe.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/beth.bathe 
Short Dog Studio

Beth Bathe is an artist currently residing in Lancaster, PA. She has a BFA from Virginia Commonwealth University and has had her own graphic design business, Bathe Design, for 27 years. Her fine art oil paintings include figurative, still life and landscapes. She has become very involved in the plein air movement of painting outdoors and also teaches classes and leads workshops at her studio Short Dog Studios in Ephrata, PA. Beth is a member of the Mid Atlantic Plein Air Painters (MAPAPA), Susquehanna Valley Plein Air Painters(SVPAP), Daily Painters of Pennsylvania and Daily Paintworks






Recent shows, juried competitions and Awards include: 
• Juried artist Mountain Maryland Plein Air 2015 
• Juried artist, Paint Annapolis 2015 
• Juried artist, Plein Air Camp Hill PA, 2015, 2014 and 2013 
• Juried artist, 2014 Plein Air X Easton! 
• Invited artist, Plein Air Mt. Lebanon PA, Oct. 2014
• Invited artist, Plein Air Chincoteague, VA, Sept. 2014
• First Place in 2014 Small Works Show, The Art Center, Mechanicsburg PA
• First Place and People’s Choice Award Gettysburg Fest Plein Air Competition 2014
• Second Place, Quick Draw. Plein Air Camp Hill 2014
• Honorable Mention, Plein Air Camp Hill 2013
• Art League of Alexandria, VA annual show "'Scapes", 2010 and 2011

Current Shows and Galleries 

“Either Fish or Fowl” 2015 Annapolis Maritime Museum
“Best of 2014” – Crystal Moll Gallery, Baltimore, MD
“Plein Air 2014” – Crystal Moll Gallery, Baltimore, MD
“6” Squared” – Randy Higbee Gallery, CA
Short Dog Studios, Ephrata PA
Daily Paintworks, www.dailypaintworks.com
 

"Growing up with a father who was a commercial artist, interior designer and all around 'Renaissance man', art was always a part of my life. Most of my working career has been as a graphic designer,  Fast forward after raising two kids, taking care my of my elderly parents and losing my husband to cancer, my partner Bill presented me with an easel and oil paints for Christmas in 2008. The paints remained unopened for a year before I finally signed up for my first oil painting class. Since that first day I have never looked back, oil painting had become my new 'art'. I studied oil painting at the Art League of Alexandria, and apprenticed under Edward “Ted” Reed for several years. I have also studied with landscape painter Marc Hanson and Quiang Huang. I am influenced by John Singer Sargent, the Russian impressionists, Andrew Wyeth and contemporaries Richard Schmid, Marc Hanson and Charlie Hunter.

When I first started painting I just thought it was something I’d like to do. I loved studying, practicing, watching my paintings evolve. I also started to evolve. Artist David Leffel states that 'Painting is like an interlocking set of relationships — color, edges, values, thick and thin, etc. Life is the same. Everything is interrelated.' I love the way that painting has become such a large part of my life. I now see the world through the eyes of a painter, and it is a beautiful, bright world indeed.

4 comments:

Julie Riker said...

Wonderful post Beth! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your beautiful paintings!

Cecelia Lyden said...

I agree with Julie and your paintings inspire me.

Cheryl Slavinsky said...

Love the story about how you started painting, Beth, after that paint box gift in 2008 stayed unopened for a year before you took your first oil painting class. Love to see you sharing your story and beautiful paintings!

Clare Klaum said...

Beth,
God has truly blessed you with the gift of art! I love your story and your impressive paintings. It's amazing how much you notice, every day, that before you painted you never saw. Almost every day, I say WOW about something that I see in God's creation!