Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Meet SVPAP Member, Pam Wenger

I’m a fairly recent convert to plein air painting. I decided to try it at the urging of my friend, Donna, who happens to be the current president of the group. She’d talked me into trying watercolor 3 years ago when I retired from education ( I taught gifted students and instructional technology). I was loving my portrait work, my first love when it comes to art, so I thought I get outside and try something different. I’d been awed by the plein air work I’d seen at the Camp Hill Plein Air Festival for the past few years and wanted to be a part of that excitement. ('Still haven’t competed there - but that’s next year’s goal.) 

I’ve been painting with the plein air group for about a year and a half now and I can’t imagine not having that piece as part of my retirement art experience. There’s nothing like grabbing your supplies and heading outside (usually with a friend or two) to experience the out of doors along with the challenge of completing a painting in a few hours. 

I remember how daunting those first few sessions were. How were you supposed to narrow down your subject matter, decide on a composition, draw it, and then paint it in a short amount of time? That’s still a challenge, but it’s become a much less intimidating one! I prefer to paint scenes with some sort of architectural element (like a building or a vehicle) but I imagine my preferences will change as I develop as a plein air painter. 

I’m so glad to be part of this group. It’s been a wonderful way to connect with other local artists. One of the best surprises I've had regarding painting is that it doesn't need to be a solitary endeavor. 

If you want to see more of my work, visit www.pamwenger.com or my blog at http://exploringwatercolor.blogspot.com/


14"x10"
Watercolor


9"x12"
Watercolor


9"x12"
Watercolor


10"x14"
Watercolor


10"x14"
Watercolor


10"x14"
Watercolor



6 comments:

Julie Riker said...

Great Post Pam! Love seeing your work. I did not realize that you were so recently introduced to plein air. Your paintings exhibit a skill and sense of confidence - bravura that usually comes with many years of experience.

Clare Klaum said...

Pam,
Since I've met you and seen your work I have always admired your portraits. Your Plein Air work is just as impressive. I love the looseness and your color pallet. My favorite is the painting of the Poppies. You are truly and asset to our group!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Beautiful work, Pam!

Susan B. Landis said...

Wonderful watercolors---such variety!

Cecelia Lyden said...

Any subject can become a work of art, in the hands of a gifted artist such as yourself. your jalopies, farm equipment, etc. prove that.

Vivian Sterste said...

Hi Pam! Your pieces are fresh, spontaneous and lovely! I hope we get to paint together this summer! The portrait you did of me is one of my favorite art pieces ever......you are extremely talented!
xoxo - Vivi